EPortfolio - My competencies/Technical skills and competences
Instructional/Learning Design and Curriculum Development
Mastery of instructional design competencies, as per the framework for Instructional Design Competencies by International Board of Standards for Training, Performance and Instruction.
- Establish and spearhead an instructional/learning design committee for any type of project.
- Implement a methodology and support tools to establish a learning vision, a learning design, learning strategies and learning goals, learning activities, different forms of evaluation, and favor metacognitive processes
- Quality control for the maintenance of a learning vision, strategies or goals throughout a project
- Assist, accompany, and train others to become learning designers
Spearheaded or accompanied the learning design of numerous projects for the development of learning material for use by significant audience with various techno-pedagogical visions and various organisational models, both multimedia online courses. See list of productions.
Implemented and contributed to a continually evolving instructional design support tools (via a wiki) including reference frameworks for learning theories and learning strategies, mapping of standard interactivity types to pedagogical taxonomies, learning design and learning scenario guidelines and exemplary practice. (R & D advisor SOFAD 2002-2007).
Production of generic interactivity motors for use in online courses based on levels of pedagogical goals, including support documentation and tools.
Public communications at regional, national and international instances on the topic of instructional design (models, processes, examples etc.). See details
Expert level of mastery
- Advise and assist the design and orientation of ePortfolio projects for highlighting, developing, and obtaining recognition of one's competencies
Participated in researching, writing and producing a public report on ePortfolios for the Quebec Ministry of Education, See See list of productions.
Prepared and delivered various public presentations/workshops on the topic. See details.
Collaborate for the design and system architecture for different portfolios (SOFAD and Ministry of Education, 2006-2007).
Member of the Program committee for ePortfolio Francophone 2006 conference.
Keep abreast of the field:
- producing and maintaining various personnel ePortfolios (ex. this one, eduspaces, Epsilen)
- following the technical standards in the field (ex. IMS), and an ePortfolio plug fest.
- Attending conferences (ePortfolio Canada (2004), ePortfolio France (2004), ePortfolio Working Fora in Canada (2004), ePortfolio 2005 in England, ePortfolio Francophone (2006), and iLearnParis(2007)
Competences and competencies
- Train/coach for competency based approaches to teaching and training and designing learning materials.
- Design learning programs and materiel based on competency approach.
- Design tools to help make competences visible and to facilitate the development of competences.
Consultant work with MRCI: training for understanding and applying a competency-based approach.
Keep abreast of the developing field : follow ministry change to competency based programs, European project 10 competences, development of reference frameworks (attend conferences, read publications). Competence information
Participate in developing a new learning designs, and learning for competency based learning: Physics course, teacher training course, prototype for adult education course etc.
Develop own ePortfolio based on competency approach.
Produced a prototype for an online course to compare and contrast different approaches to competency, within Québec and elsewhere.
Teaching and training
Strong performance in the standard Professional Teacher Competencies of the Ministry of Education of Québec for formal teaching for children, youth and adults.
- Coach professionals and deliver professional development
- Develop teaching/training materials. See Instructional/learning design section for more on curricular development.
- Design, develop and implement strategic plan for training
Teaching Licence (McGill University, 1991).
Training and coaching professionals, including preparing strategic plan, specific interventions, learning ressources, reports etc. (ex. teachers to teach online, project coordinators to design for online projects, writers to write interactive multimedia content, adults to build an eportfolio, administrators to develop a distance education system, professionals to adjust to competency based learning) (SOFAD, 2000-2007).
Guest speaker for master and docotoral students (Concordia University, 2005-06).
Pedagogical Consultant (Math, Science and technology) for youth and adult education teachers: trained for technical and pedagogical usage of micro-computers and internet, designed and oversaw interdisiplinary projects with teachers and students to develop teacher competencies, such as the production of local ecosystem cd rom, provided training for school secretaries for computer systems etc.(Sept-Iles, CS Littoral, Canada, 1995-1997).
Primary and secondary school teacher in all subjects in multi-level classrooms (MiddleBay and Old Fort Bay, CS Littoral, Quebec, 1991-1995).
- develop techno-pedagogical standards for online environments
- establish and adjust a production process for the development of online environments
- design and oversee production of online material based on a structured approach (to ensure ease of development, upkeep and reuse)
- put in place a documentation processes, and assist others in integrating it into their work flow
- understand, imagine and translate pedagogical intentions into online interactive multimedia environments
- Compare and contrast content management systems, learning management systems and personal learning environments
- Design and oversee production of reusable interactivities/learning objects
- Oversee the production of an interface design for user friendliness and artisic flair
- Design and develop a system architecture (including specifying maintanance and distribution tasks and costs)
Spearheaded a standards committee for online learning environments and participated in the discussions, decisions, and documenting of standards for the organisation (SOFAD, from 2000-present). Standards developed include: process from login to entering a course, how a course is presented, what needs to be included in the entrance page, how the help system is structured and functions, the learner planning tool, what is provided for instructors, coypright, credits, course demos, student appreciation forms etc. The standards include both a preoccupation for establishing a common vocabulary for the organisation and the end users, a basic infrastructure that can be shared by all productions, and simplifying the system. The standards do not impose upon the learning design.
Structured approach: coached programers and interface designers to develop a structured approach. Coached project coordinators in applying a structured approach. Public interventions on the topic.
Designed and produced numerous complex multimedia web sites (1000s of pages, sites for learning, and an online portal): specifying a system architecture, producing technical specifications for programming, multimedia production and interface design and regular quality control of the deliverables. (SOFAD, 2000-2007). Establishing the tools and methods to use for the production of online courses for my projects and then for the common infrastructure of an organisation (SOFAD, 2000-2007).
Keep abreast in the field: attend conferences (ex. Lornet) and read scientific articles.
Distance education and online learning
- Advice, accompany, analyse the design, development and implementation of
- distance education systems
- comprehnsive multimedia interactive online environments and print-based learning materials
- practices (including online teaching)
Lead, documented and advised for numerous distance education projects that involve clarifying the organisational model, setting up services, producing materials for different ministries, for general adult education, for vocational education and for the youth sector (Comprehensive list of projects here).
Collaborated in research and production of public opininion documents related to the field of distance education and online learning. See details of reports.
Participate and present at numerous canadian and international distance education meetings and conferences. See details on organisations.
Invited as a distance education expert by the British Columbia francophone school board.
Inform Quebec stakeholders about Quebec distance education (ex. Federation of Quebec School Boards, Provincial Organization of Continuing Education Directors of the Province of Quebec, SOFAD Annual Distance Education Forum, SOFAD Board of Directors etc.). See details on the presentations given
Inform and accompany teachers to become online teachers (ex. via periodic training sessions at local school boards or regional events as well as an annual laboratory workshop at the AQUOPS (Quebec Association of Computer Users at Primary-Secondary level) conference List of Aquop Teacher Training Workshops.
Produced a media rich mini-course Preparing Teachers for Online Teaching to help new online teachers.
Worked on ways to integrate flexibility into distance education and online learning systems: See examples of public communications on the subjet.
eCulture and TIC
- Use of TIC to improve efficiency within work flow processes, administration, documentation, project management, or to meet specific goals
- advise on pedagogically sound use of computers
Use of wikis to improve communication and efficiency in multiple projects since 2004.
Presently exploring how developing an ePortfolio contributes to developing technology skills.
Presently exploring how a portfolio approach could be used to develop eCulture skills (do individuals can harness full potential of TIC rather than submit to it).
Accompanied schools to establish their technology plans (techno-pedagogical visions), established the Internel protocols and practices for the school board, accompanied schools in designing their school web sites, multimedia year long science projet based on the local tundra environment, establishing a partnership reading and writing program between primary and secondary students via word processing tools. (1991-1997, CS Littoral, Canada)
Research and development
- Design, scope, conduct and document a research project.
Research experience and interest:
Technological potential in learning material. Keeping abreast of the technological world, and bringing it to learning design committees. See Productions and publications and contributions to learning design.
Peer connected self-paced learning: Worked on ways to integrate flexibility into distance education systems: Flexibility in online learning, as demonstrated in the course Democracy and Culture in Québec (Online Educa, Berlin, Germany, 2005). Self-paced, yet connected learning; How to have your cake and eat it too (BCedOnline, Vancouver, Canada: 2004)
Synchronous communication: Carried out analysis of synchronous tools to integrate into a provincial service from both a technological and pedagogical perspective (in production).
Distance learning organisational models (participated in research on the topic)
ePortfolios (participated in a research project, see above ePortfolio)
Math online: Manage a research project with Mati, La maison des technologies de formation et d'apprentissage Roland-Giguère (Université de Montréal et École Polytechnique de Montréal) on the best design and development methodologies for online math courses. (in production).